Monday, May 24, 2010

Dang. I think I overdid myself.

In the scenic Vermont town where I massage tourists, there is a delightful bike path. From end to end, it's in the vicinity of 10 miles long. It winds and weaves under bridges, over bridges, beside a small river, beneath the shade of trees, and even marks off the distance in 1/4 mile increments. This has become Panda's Running Nirvana.

The next time I run there, I really must bring along my little camera to show you some scenery. I love that I can take a break to stretch on a bench, or even dip my bloated, pudgy sausage fingers into the cool flowing waters. Ok, who am I kidding, it's frickin' freezing water, but still refreshing.

This path goes from the village proper to the ski resort mountain. When you are traveling from the village toward the mountain, you do experience an imperceptible raise in elevation. I didn't feel like I was traveling uphill for 2 miles, until I turned around to head back. All of a sudden I was cruising! I was striding along like I was born Kenyan. I'm not sure how far a distance I ran, but I just went with it.

I started to regret it as soon as I slowed down. My ankle started getting pissed off at me.

"Umm, Panda?"

"Yes, Ankle?" (Not making eye contact)

"I just wanted to bring to your attention that you haven't gone this far before..."

I considered the distance...I had gone a little over 4 miles total. The longest distance I had wun since breaking my ankle.

"Yes, Ankle, I believe you might be right. But I was feeling like a super star! Come on, can't you cut me some slack this once? I'll be better next time...I'll work up to 4 miles. Cross my heart."

Ankle sighs. Shakes its head back and forth. Ultimately, Ankle hooks me up and decided to not drag me through stiffness hell the next day. I am grateful and resolve to take it easy on Ankle...for now.

I got the taste of what the Flow feels like. And I'm hunting it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment